POLLUTION - A GROWING RISK
”The Black Sea itself is under serious threat. Elaborate work needs to be done in this sphere individually and collectively by the Member States and with the support/involvement, when and where needed, of the Third Parties who are also responsible, albeit partly, for the existing pollution. The NGO support and active participation in combating pollution is an effective way and needs to be propagated.”
Main Objectives of BSEC Action Plan for Cooperation in the Field of Environmental Protection: Attachment 6 to Annex VII to BS/FM/R(2006)1
- to sustain the efforts of the BSEC Member States in achieving a clean and healthy environment and to contribute to the improvement of the quality of life and to provide long term prosperity in the BSEC Region;
- to strengthen solidarity among the BSEC Member States in preserving their common heritage and resources for the benefit of present and future generations;
- to seek synergies and avoid duplication of efforts with other regional organizations and initiatives acting in the region, or in neighboring regions;
- to promote integration of environmental protection into the economic and social policies of the BSEC Member States;
- to protect the environment, including the preservation and the management of the natural resources, in line with the principles of sustainable development.
Project Development Fund
- The BSEC Project Development Fund has been established for the purpose of facilitating the elaboration and promotion of projects with high regional cooperation and development impact in the BSEC
- The Fund was established upon the resolution of the Seventh Council of Ministers of Foreign Affairs (Tirana, 25 October 2002). The Fund is constituted on the principle of voluntary contributions from the BSEC Member States, the BSEC Related Bodies, Observers and Third Parties.
- Moreover contributions from external donors will be welcomed, the Organization intends to cooperate actively with interested bilateral and multilateral donors in ensuring the sustainability of the Fund.
- Financing to be provided by the Fund is in the form of grants financing any type of operations (studies, concept development, demonstration activities etc.) leading up to the stage of pre-feasibility study.
- In order to ensure the regional character of the projects the proposed projects should involve at least three BSEC Member States. Eligible recipients are any legal entities from the BSEC Member States whose proposals will be supported by the national authorities.
- Applications for project financing are processed through the BSEC Working Groups and are submitted to the Committee of Senior Officials for endorsement. The Fund is managed by the Steering Committee with decision making power on the distribution of the Fund's resources.
- The Black Sea Trade and Development Bank, being the financial pillar of the BSEC, can exercise the first right of refusal financing a project after the completion of the Fund-financed operation within a three-month period. With this we ensure that projects satisfying the financing criteria of the Bank might receive further financing for their implementation stage.
- Maximum duration of a financed project is 12 months and the grant amount is up to $ 15,000. However, in case of contributions by external donors the above-mentioned amount may be revised upon a decision of the Steering Committee of the Fund.
- The Criteria according to which a project proposal will be evaluated by the BSEC are the following:
• The expected outputs of the project should further the principles and objectives of the BSEC.
• The expected outcome of the project must be relevant to the proposed project objectives and sufficiently described.
• Timetable for operations, estimated costs and project management structure must be reasonable.
• The applicants must have the capacity to implement the project.
• The project should involve as many BSEC countries as possible.
• Possibility of the project to be implemented after the completion of the BSEC financed component.
• The proposed project should seek to increase synergies between BSEC and EU.
For detailed provisions:
For General Conditions applicable to BSEC grant check: